One-Time Close Loans | FHA, VA, and USDA
Learn all about the VA, USDA, and FHA versions of the One-Time Close Loan.

Borrowers applying for a Single Close Loan benefit from having one closing, no requalification requirement, and a loan note guarantee prior to construction.

- Build a Home on Your Own Lot -
VA Loan - One-Time Close Construction Loan
FHA Loan - One-Time Close Construction Loan
USDA Loan - One-Time Close Construction Loan

The "USDA" One-Time-Close Loan

UDSA Loans to build a home are issued by private lenders and guaranteed by the USDA, including the USDA's One-Time Close Construction-to-Permanent Loan option. Borrowers applying for a Single Close Loan benefit from having one closing, no requalification requirement, and receiving a loan note guarantee before construction begins.

While there is no required down payment on a USDA loan, you will need to meet all other requirements set by your lender and the USDA in order to qualify for a One-Time Close loan.

Apply Now for Your One-Time Close Constuction Loan
"USDA loan borrowers will benefit from having one closing, no requalification requirement, and receiving a loan note guarantee before construction begins."

What is a USDA Loan?

Beaver talks about One-Time Close loansThe United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) is a government entity that provides leadership on food, agriculture, natural resources, rural development, nutrition, and related issues. The USDA's Rural Department aims to build healthy and sustainable rural communities by helping low- and moderate-income residents find safe and affordable housing.

It is able to do so with the Single Family Housing Guaranteed Loan Program. Officially known as Section 502, the USDA offers a zero-down mortgage option to residents who wish to build or purchase homes in qualified, rural, or suburban areas.

What Can You Build With a USDA Single Close Loan?

The USDA's goal is to strengthen the economies of rural communities by helping people buy and build homes. The USDA deems an area “rural” if it has a lack of mortgage credit for low- and moderate-income families and a population under 35,000. Any borrower applying for a USDA Single Close loan must live in such an area with the intention of occupying the new home as their primary residence. Eligible property types include new manufactured homes (excluding single wide homes), modular homes, and site-built homes, all of which must be one-unit homes.

Who Can Apply

On USDA One-Time Close loans, lenders offer a 30-year, fully amortizing mortgage, but the construction term is inside of the mortgage term, so all borrowers typically must qualify for a 29-year loan. *Annual fees will typically be escrowed to cover the construction period for up to 12 months.

As the USDA's goal is to assist low-to-moderate income homebuyers, it sets income limits based on the property's location and household size. For 2020, except for designated high cost areas, the income limits are set at $86,850 for a 1-4 person household, and $114,650 for a 5-8 person household.

Remember that all credit and verification documents must be dated within 120 days of the original closing date to be valid, and all appraisals are valid for 150 days.

See Your Credit Scores From All 3 Bureaus

Do you know what's on your credit report?

Learn what your score means.

Your Scores Now
Articles, Updates, and Guidelines
OTC articles
Five One-Time Close Construction Loan Tips

If you want to build a home on your own lot instead of buying an existing house, the FHA One-Time Close construction mortgage is an option to consider. FHA construction loans feature the same low down payment requirements (3.5% for qualified borrowers) as any other FHA mortgage. 

Which Construction Loan Should I Apply For?

The most important thing to know about VA One-Time Close construction loans is that unless you are either an eligible veteran with qualifying military service or a qualifying surviving spouse of a veteran who has died as a result of military service.

One-Time Close Mortgages: Fact and Fiction

There are several different types of One-Time Close loans, also known as single-close construction loans. You can apply for an FHA One-Time Close construction loan, there is a VA equivalent, and even a USDA construction loan. Construction loans are available for any financially qualified borrower.

-- Find More Articles in the OTC Library -- is not a government agency. We do not offer or have any affiliation with loan modification, foreclosure prevention, payday loan, or short term loan services. Neither nor its advertisers charge a fee or require anything other than a submission of qualifying information for comparison shopping ads. We do not ask users to surrender or transfer title. We do not ask users to bypass their lender. We encourage users to contact their lawyers, credit counselors, lenders, and housing counselors.

SecureRights Advertiser Contact Information

One and Won is a registered trademark of Texcorp Mortgage Bankers, Inc.